Sunday, June 24, 2012

Our kids…

Well, I guess it wouldn’t be a proper blog if I didn’t have at least one entry about my kids, so here it goes…

For those of you reading this who don’t know my kids, I will introduce you…
First, there’s 8 year old Paige, otherwise known as Paigee(long e). She’s my dreamer- her head always in the clouds and her feet rarely on the ground. She’s as creative and artistic as they come- loves to paint, sing, draw and esp. dance. She’s also one of the most loving kids I’ve ever met…. That’s where she shines- in relationships. She’s the best friend and big sister we all wish we had… always kind, encouraging and compassionate. She always thinks the best of people, even to a fault, and has a heart of gold just like her daddy. 
Next, there’s 5 year old Katelyn, otherwise known as Katy. She’s my little chef. She’s been cooking practically by herself since she was 2. It’s really blown me away how much she loves to cook and bake and how highly skilled she is at it for someone so young. She’s also my hot or cold one. She either loves it or she hates it- with Kate there is no middle ground… and once she’s decided- save your breath. There is no changing her mind. She feels things deeply and lives with such passion. She has a tendency to be shy, but when she’s broken out of her shell she is as rough and tumble as they come. 
And, finally, there is 2 year old Chloe, otherwise known as Co-Co. She’s my cleaner. Seriously! Giving her a wipey has gotten me out of many a tantrum! Never have been able to understand it but the girl has a need to clean! She’s also my independent one. It never has come across as bratty or rude or even rebellious, but the girl is hard-wired to think that she doesn’t need us or, honestly, help in any form… and, don’t tell her, but in a lot of cases she’s right! She sees a goal and then attacks it, she sees something wrong and then fixes it- doesn’t need help or instructions to do it. 

Well, now that you know them, I bet you are wondering how do you, as a parent, tell your (at that time) 7, 4 and 1 year old that they have to leave most of their toys and all their family and friends behind to go to Africa… good question. Well, you just do… you sit them down and you tell them. We said it gently and gave them plenty of time for questions, but it was still a hard conversation to have. Due to their age and the fact that only Paige has accepted Jesus yet, saying “because God said to” only got us so far. It was hard to explain why, but we just kept trusting that if God called us to this He would make a way in their hearts, as well. Their initial response was to cry, and I’ll be honest it was heart-breaking. I didn’t expect them to stand up and cheer for the decision, but to see the panic in their eyes and sorrow in their cries was unbearable. As a mom, it hurt to think that I was causing them this much pain, but I knew staying on God’s path was the only way to find true joy, so I held fast. Ryan and I continued to pray for them and for their hearts. We knew He was the only one who could make this right. The next day we were pleasantly surprised to find that Paige had done a 180. She had seen in some of daddy’s pictures that the children there knew how to jump rope. God laid it on her heart that she needed to bring “Jumprope for Jesus” (a jumprope club at our church) to Africa. After that, she was on fire- couldn’t wait to get there, couldn’t wait to minister. She even began to sing a song around the house that her children’s choir was doing called “I refuse” by Josh Wilson. (Chorus: I don’t want to live like I don’t care, I don’t want to say another empty prayer, oh, I refuse to sit around and wait for someone else to do what God has called me to do myself, oh, I could choose not to move, but I refuse.) She sang it with such passion and courage that it would take my breath away sometimes. It was an amazing turn around to see. As I said before, our Katy is as hot or cold as they come and to say that she was cold about this decision was to give it 20 degrees! She did not like it and refused to even talk about it. My heart was so burdened for her heart. I prayed and prayed over her. As the days became weeks, God slowly began to move in her heart. Little by little she started to come around. Now I don’t remember a time when she was excited to go, but by the time we left she was willing to admit that we were going without an angry explosion so I totally counted that as a win! I felt blessed that God had moved in her so much! Of course Chloe was, and is, so young that she’s perfectly fine going anywhere as long as her big sissys are going too!:) 
When we got here, we were told that the children would adjust easier than we would and that was the truth. Sure, they miss home- friends, modern conveniences- but they have adjusted shockingly well to a lack of clean water/constant electricity, they have made new friends, are thriving in our busy schedules (when the teams are in town) and are wonderful ministry partners during our weekly kid’s bible study. I’m not saying they haven’t had moments of homesickness, but all and all they are game for just about anything and have been able to turn the most frustrating situations into positives for us.  
Things I have learned through my children through this journey so far are simple: 1) I worried way too much about what toys to bring, because clearly all my children need are some rocks and a stick and they are as happy as little clams! 2) That it’s ok to be excited and yell “POWER!” when the lights suddenly go on 3) that making a friend can be as easy as just going outside and introducing yourself. 4) that sisters play together just fine when they don’t have any better offers  5) most importantly, my children have shown me what courage and bravery really look like. They faced a world of unknowns when they stepped on that plane and they did it with their heads held high and their hearts ready for what laid before them. These are 3 of the bravest people I know and I am honored to serve with them here in Sanyati. I COULD NOT be prouder of them. I am honored to be called their mother. May God bless them and their service for His kingdom, both now and forevermore. Amen.

Rashel
(Aka Mama)
This one’s for you girls….
“I refuse” Josh Wilson   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B1Lv8k5pEc

No comments:

Post a Comment