Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Grocery Shopping in Zimbabwe


Well, we are headed back to Sanyati after a supplies trip to Harare. We spent 3 nights there- lots of shopping to do before the first team comes in. When we are in Harare we always go grocery shopping as well because the prices and selection is always so much better. We had heard before we left that the prices in Zim are much higher than back home and by all accounts that was the truth. Some of the prices on stuff are crazy- I thought I’d share some of the more laughable prices (well, it’s only laughable until you have to buy it- like cereal for the girls )


Betty Crocker can of icing- $6.04
Captain Crunch Cereal $6.98
Dove Shampoo (small bottle) $10.00
(and yes, I managed to pack the girl’s shampoo but completely forgot Ryan and I’s…Ugh!)
Cake mix $7.97
Pringles $4.65
Apple Jacks Cereal $8.60
Cheerios- $6.69
Honey Nut Cheerios- $7.29
Heinz Ketchup (small bottle) $4.99 


And my favorite so far….1 bottle of Magic Shell Choc. Sauce for Ice Cream - $12.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Just a few funny ones that I saw... thought I’d help you feel better about your grocery budget! Haha! They also have a brand here called Magic Time that is actually made in Florida, but they only sell internationally. They make products very similar to American brands and package it in similar bottles/packages. You pay through the nose for them but it is interesting to see what we could get that is similar to back home. We bought Magic time Ranch “Pringles” so I’ll have to let you know how they are- Haha! 
Some things I have found that are cool here are 1) THE BACON- I don’t even like bacon back home, but this stuff rocks! It’s about the same astronomical price that is back home but it is huge sheets of bacon with mostly meat (unlike at home). Yum! I even had myself a B.L.No T. sandwich the other day at lunch- divine!  2) Marie biscuits- It’s actually not pronounced like you read it (it’s more like M-ah-ree) and biscuits here are actually cookies. Our girls love them- kind of a cross between a graham cracker and a nilla wafer. .. very delicious. 3) Mazoe-  it’s similar to Kool-Aid but is a liquid to mix in water instead  of a powder. Ryan loves the stuff but drinks it so diluted that it really becomes a flavored water instead. They have it in all kinds of flavors- blackberry (which tastes like grape), Raspberry (cherry), Peach, etc. 4) Glass bottle cokes- the girls have really been enjoying drinking cokes out of glass bottles- a fun “new” treat. They have even started a bottle cap collection.  They also were amazed when I told them that I remember seeing glass bottle coke machines back home when I was a kid… They acted as if I was telling them that I saw the Wright brother’s first flight! Come on now, girls! I’m not that old! Haha!


Well, let you go! Many more miles to drive! Love and miss you all!
Rashel


Ps- Coming soon: Paige’s first blog!<3 

1 comment:

  1. It makes me feel like I am experiencing it w/u. Thank u so much for the details. Blessings Vicki

    ReplyDelete