Saturday, May 19, 2012

One Month in Africa as of Today



Today, May 19th, marks one month in Zimbabwe.  Life has changed quite a bit.  We have moved from being somewhat fearful of the unknown to settling down into the reality of our lives for the next several months.  The spiders and wide variety of bugs throughout the house don’t bother us quite as much as they did when we first arrived.  Paige even named one of the big spiders that frequents the living room.  He (or she) is now referred to as Flatty because it’s the type that almost looks like it was squished flat.  It is very fast and can move in between tight places other spiders cannot.  Flatty apparently feeds on mosquitos so we were told to leave this type be as long as they don’t bother us.  (Don’t tell Paige, but I have not seen Flatty in a few days.  He was probably eaten by the lizard we had to chase off the wall and out of the house.)  In addition to our experiences with the spiders and lizards, we have learned by experience that you don’t leave any crumbs on the floor because there will be a large track of ants feeding on them soon after.  


There quite a few scary things but the Lord provides and protects.  My friend David reminded me of that yesterday.  He shared about an experience he had with a very large spitting cobra the other day.  The snake was so large that his friend witnessed the encounter from over 200 meters away.  David was jogging down a trail and almost ran right into the snake as it was coiled up and standing ready to strike.  By the grace of God, he noticed the snake in time.  For the most part we are isolated from those snakes.  They typically stay deeper in the bush away from concentrations of people.  (Check out my other post about the black mamba at ARDA.  Personally, I have not seen a snake here other than a few dead on the road, but I do keep an eye out for them because I want to be aware of them well before they know I am there.)


I am excited to close out this week.  It marks the closure of the preparation phase of our service.  Last Sunday, we went to Harare to get supplies before the first team from the US arrives at Sanyati tomorrow.  I spent quite a bit of time driving around Harare looking for just a few items.  Monday was a day of frustration as I spent hours going from place-to-place, often not knowing where I was, and I did not accomplish a single goal…other than learning where some of the businesses we deal with are.  During my frustration at one of the LP gas dealers, I noticed a verse taped to the glass at the sales counter directed straight at me.  It simply stated Psalm 46:10, “Be still and know that I am God.”  There were several other verses that show up everywhere from the back of a truck to the phone card you buy airtime with.  On Tuesday, after I finally found a LP gas tank, I was driving back to the guest house and noticed the phrase “God of Miracles” on the back of a truck.  For me, finding the LP gas tank had been a miracle.  It took a day and a half to find.  I thought we would be going back to Sanyati without it and then the Lord provided.


While in Harare, I spent a significant time in the industrial parts.  Near that part of the city were heavily populated areas with the typical open space used to grow a crop of corn.  It was not in fields like I see back home, but on almost every patch of dirt (the ditch, between buildings, in vacant areas, etc.) being used to provide nourishment so people can survive.  People stood and lay beside the road.  There were open markets with hundreds if not thousands of people.  Most vendors sat on the ground with a few items to sell, lining the dirt pedestrian trails.  We have given up quite a bit to come to Africa but seeing people there was almost embarrassing.  All the difficulties and hardships we are facing as a family cannot compare to the daily life of many here whether it be in the cities or in the bush.   


We came back to Sanyati a day later than originally planned.  It is not safe to drive at night here and by the time we were ready to go on Tuesday it was almost 4pm, not enough time to make the 4+ hour trip back to Sanyati.  It was nice to experience some of the luxuries of the city but we were ready to get back to our home in Sanyati.  My excitement is building along with those of the community.  Everyone here is excited that effort is being spent to restore the hospital.  Even the police at the road blocks stop me to tell me they are glad we are working on the hospital.  I am not sure how many people the hospital serves but I am told it is over 100,000.  The way things are communicated here, I bet every one of them knows and appreciates the efforts the volunteers and donors are putting into the hospital. 


Please pray for those traveling from New Mexico.  Pray for their health and safety and that they may be used to do mighty things for the Lord by serving at the hospital.  We will start replacing the roof of the labor and delivery building on Monday.  Pray that we are able to do a quality job that will last for many years providing a roof over the women and hospital staff as they deliver the new babies.  Also pray for the nationals who will come to volunteer along beside those from America.  Pray that the work may go quickly so that we can move onto other sections of the hospital.


2 comments:

  1. I understand how you felt at seeing their poverty. So many times those precious people would say, "Thank you for sacrificing so much by coming here! " Each time it would humble me so that I would simply bow my head. They ask so little of us and give back more love than one can handle.
    Oh, how your blog warms my heart for my friends in Africa! Love you guys.
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 more days of teaching 7th gr (for son who had knee surgery) then we are off to Alaska. Tom & I will celebrate our 42nd anniversary & research church planting options. The urge to serve is so heavy..how can we stay safely @ home when so many have so little and we can offer hope for this world & the next! Love & prayers!

    ReplyDelete