Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Lessons Africa is Teaching Me... by Rashel



Monday was Paige’s birthday, as well as, our day to do our “big shop” before we move out to Sanyati. We had a dozen places to go and a million things to buy and do.  In the middle of my day, I found myself complaining in my head about my busy day- Can’t believe we are this busy!... I hate being this busy!... etc. Soon after, we loaded everyone in the car and we were off at it again. As we drove, we passed by a corn field where there were men handpicking corn and then others chopping down the stalks with machetes. Clearly, they had been working hard all day and judging by the size of the field, obviously, had several more hours to go.  It totally slapped me in the face. Here I am complaining about my day- got my 3 children dressed (how blessed am I to not only have 1 child, but 3 and have clothes that God has provided for them to wear),  went to the grocery store to shop (with money provided to us by God and people being obedient to Him), celebrated my daughter’s 8th birthday (again HOW blessed am I??) with gifts and going out to eat (that God gave us Ryan’s job/the money to do). Here I am complaining to myself about my busy day (and I often do) but really how often does my busy day involve manual labor or back-breaking work? Granted my life/busyness is tiring, but when I look back at it all, it’s all God’s blessings and provision that keep me so busy- why would I complain about that? Why would I not instead say “Thank you, God, for 3 little girls, for my children being healthy enough to live to be 8. 4 and 2, for Your constant provision of money and food, for a truck to ride in instead of being forced to walk… and on and on… and on”. May my heart grow sensitive to all He has provided and may my complaining turn to praise.  

Wanted to give an update too- we leave tomorrow to move to Sanyati. Please keep us in your prayers as it is a 4 hour drive on a terrible road. Prayers please that we make it there ok (with all our stuff) and that we adjust well to life there over the next several weeks. Prayers for the house we will live in and working major appliances (the house has been shut up for several months) would also be appreciated. Thank you so much for every prayer said on our family’s behalf! We so treasure every one! Thanks! 
Rashel

2 comments:

  1. Lance's prayer for you..."God help Paige to jump rope for Jesus, help Chloe to be good, and help Katie to do everything her mom and dad say to do. Help them be safe while they are driving. Amen"
    This was so sweet and perfect that I wanted to share it with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking at a life full of blessings instead of burdens...what a wonderful lesson for us all to learn!!! Thanks so much for sharing and allowing God to speak to us through what He is teaching you! We love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete